Sunday, February 13, 2011

Schoolin' In Our Jammies - A Typical Day In Our Homeschool

It's a cold, lazy morning and I don't feel like getting out of bed. The two early risers get up and either turn on the TV or X-Box or Wii. I finally drag myself out of bed to change and feed the youngest. Sometimes I go back to bed and take her with me to snuggle. Sometimes I get up and check my email. Another child will wake up and the noise level in the house starts to increase. The oldest will sleep through much of it. She dances three nights a week and takes a while to unwind, and usually stays up quite late.

Around 10 or 11, often still in our pj's, we will start our school day. The boys will sit down to do their work, some of it at the kitchen table and some on the living room couch. The almost 3 year-old gets in the middle of whatever they are doing, demanding to do her school work too. I work with the boys individually, with countless interruptions from the toddler for a drink, a snack, a diaper change, or help with her own “school work.” To anyone who doesn't homeschool, this would look like mass confusion, but for us, it is a typical day.


Finally, the 11 year-old will wake up and emerge from her room. She usually heads straight to the computer. She will work and play on it awhile; or maybe it is play and then work. Then she will get up for a bite to eat and either go back to the computer or practice dancing.


We will have a late lunch. If it is a dance day for our daughter, this is our main meal of the day. After lunch, the kids are pretty much free to do what they want. The boys will build with Lincoln Logs or Legos, or play more video games. My oldest daughter will practice dancing some more, work on some crafts, or go back to the computer. If the toddler is cranky, I will make her lay down for awhile, though she is really about ready to give up her naps.


There is lots of laughter, lots of noise, and often times an argument to be dealt with. I've been doing this for 22 years. The thought of another 15 can sometimes be overwhelming. The cost of giving up my freedom has been great. All my dreams and goals were put on the back-burner so that I could raise my children in what I believe is the best way possible. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I saw each one of my children's first steps. I heard them read their first words. I've watched them struggle and grow. I get hugs and kisses throughout the day and the satisfaction of seeing siblings work together for common goals. Playing, working, and loving... Life couldn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment